Nothing makes a bolder statement on the front of a house like the front door, as it the one of the first things that people see when then arrive at a home. Adding a splash of color, some new hardware and some decoration will welcome guests and potential buyers. A little bit of work goes a long way to adding personality to your home and boosting your curb appeal!
Here are 5 easy steps to painting your front door.
1. Choose a new paint color. Consider the colors in your home and its surroundings and pick a color that will compliment these features.
2. Remove hardware. For the cleanest look, remove the locks and knobs from your door. You can also tape them off or paint around them, but the door will look more finished if you remove them.
3. Sand the door. To help the primer adhere to the door, clean the door and use a palm sander to roughen the flat surface of existing paint. Wipe the door clean with a rag to remove dust once complete.
4. Apply primer. You can use white or tinted primer on your door. Tinted primer will likely call for fewer coats of paint, but white primer will work as well. Once the primer is dry, lightly run sandpaper over the door to remove any imperfections in the primer.
5. Time to paint! Begin with a small 6” roller that has a low-nap texture to apply a consistent paint application across flat surfaces. Next, finish with lightly brushing over the door with a paintbrush to achieve a smooth, hand painted texture.
6. Give ample time to dry. It is recommended that you allow 24 hours for the paint to dry and cure before reattaching knobs and hardware.
For 28 inviting colors to paint a front door, click here. When you are finished painting, you may want to upgrade the hardware at from your local DIY store and finish with a seasonal wreath or new house numbers. With a little hard work, your new door will attract a lot of attention.Tags: Home Improvement